QT Newcastle – Sous Chef
About the business
Join our team and be part of the hottest hotel with our first ever regional QT property. The doors flung open in June 2022, this newest kid on the block has transformed the CBD of Newcastle. Sitting pretty within a stunning heritage building and surrounded by bars, shops, eateries and a buzzing metropolitan vibe, QT Newcastle is where city life meets coastal charm. Boasting a signature restaurant and bar, plus a spectacular Rooftop bar with breathtaking views stretching across Newcastle Harbour and the Pacific Ocean. Great public transport will make your commute a breeze.
Centrally located in the East End Village of Newcastle’s CBD, this property is owned by Iris Capital and managed under the QT Brand.
Our passion is people. Designers, housekeepers and chefs, DJ’s, engineers, porters, baristas and accountants. We’re for the passionate. The progressive. We include. We nurture talent and promote internally. When you work here, you don’t just come to work, you bring yourself to work. Of course we love great food. Natural service. Beautiful art, elegant design. Cocktails. Music. Luxury. QT is part of EVT, a proudly Australian-owned company with over 100 years’ experience in hospitality, entertainment and leisure in Australian & New Zealand.
About the Role
A rare opportunity has come about for a natural born leader who can bring creativity, passion, and strong leadership to the wider team as the Sous Chef.
The successful candidate will assist with leading the entire hotel culinary direction from Jana Bar & Grill (signature restaurant), Rooftop at QT, Scott’s Café, In Room Dining and Meetings & Events.
Keeping within the guide of maintaining a Bar & Grill approach to Jana Bar & Grill, a Japanese inspired bar menu at Rooftop Bar, and a classic breakfast approach to breakfast, the rest lies with the creativity of the individual.
This is a hands on role which requires an individual to step in and step up to all occasions and to drive the overall guest experience with delicious food.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of five years experience in an equivalent or greater role.
- Responsible for rostering and recruitment, mentoring, training and development for both kitchen employees and FOH employees.
- Responsible for purchasing and stock control, conducting month-end stock takes with weekly tracking.
- Accurately cost all dishes for all menus across the hotel.
- Drive a seasonal change in menus across the hotel.
- WH&S & FSS – Sound knowledge & thorough understanding of compliance, kitchen safety, and overall legislation.
- Ability to lead a team with a hands on approach to problem solving.
- Encyclopedic knowledge of food & cooking techniques.
- This role requires an individual who can drive and develop the team with a positive attitude, focusing on driving a professional culture in the workplace.
Benefits & perks
- Renowned for our refreshingly local, down-to-earth experiences.
- Incredible team member discounts from your first day on-the-job.
- 50% off stays at EVT hotels – Rydges, QT, Atura, JUCY Snooze and more.
- $2 movie tickets, plus Moonlight, Gold Class, Candy Bar discounts and more.
- Awesome winter and summer savings and discounts at Thredbo.
- Rapid career growth opportunities through our EVT network.
- Local community involvement, volunteering and charitable giving.
- Australia and NZ’s largest and most diverse experiences company.
Skills & Experience
- Three years of Sous Chef experience or greater.
- The Ability to handle high stress, high pressure situations.
- Immaculate presentation and advanced communication skills.
If you’re interested in keeping up to date with all available positions at EVT, including cinemas, hotels, and Thredbo, you can sign up for our weekly job alerts here https://www.evt.com/elevate/careers/.