QT Queenstown – Executive Chef
About the business
Our passion is people. Designers, housekeepers and chefs, DJ’s, engineers, porters, baristas and accountants. We’re for the passionate. The progressive. We include. We nurture talent and promote internally. When you work here, you don’t just come to work, you bring yourself to work. Of course we love great food. Natural service. Beautiful art, elegant design. Cocktails. Music. Luxury. QT is part of EVT, a proudly Australian-owned company with over 100 years’ experience in hospitality, entertainment and leisure in Australian & New Zealand.
Incomparable views over the crystal clear Lake Wakatipu and breath-taking peaks of the Southern Alps set the scene at QT Queenstown. Sitting pretty in nature’s playground, this lush lakeside resort emulates nostalgic alpine and après-ski ambiance – perfect for the pleasure seeking adventurer. Get your luxury with a side of the signature QT quirk in your new favourite place to stay and play in the stunning Southern Alps.
About the role
Reporting to the General Manager, this role oversees all operational, financial and people related matters in the kitchen. Leading the food experiences across Bazaar interactive Market place, Reds Bar, In Room Dining and Conferencing & Events.
To succeed in this role, the ideal candidate will have a solid track record in high quality operations, a thirst for multi-tasking and a hunger for delivering results, by cultivating a team culture that is fun, performance driven and constantly looking to evolve.
The role balances the critical importance of strategic high level leadership with the day to day management of the kitchen, by developing and engaging the team, problem solving and delivering results for the business, from a people, product and profit perspective.
- Set strategic and operational direction in collaboration with the General Manager
- Provide leadership, coaching and constructive feedback
- Cultivate a culture that encourages people to connect and thrive, allowing individuality, whilst aligning teams with shared goals
- Drive performance, by setting metrics and benchmarks, identifying ways to improve how we do things and leading the way with industry trends
- Maintain a visibility in the operation at key times to support operational teams and the guest experience
- Proactively seek the industry’s top talent, ensuring we have the right people in the right roles, at the right times
- Drive profitability by managing labour and operating expenses through effective rostering, budgeting and cost controls.
Skills & experience
- 2+ years experience in a Executive Chef role in an upscale hotel with a high focus on quality whilst operating at high volumes.
- Leads the way in food trends, innovations and experiences
- A leadership style that is authentic, engaging and strategic, based on identified business priorities.
- A positive, can-do attitude that shows resilience and maturity with strong communication skills.
- Previous experience in C&E catering
- Understanding of luxury components, with a sharp attention to detail and high focus on the food experience.
If you’re interested in keeping up to date with all available positions at EVT, including cinemas, hotels, and Thredbo, you can sign up for our weekly job alerts here https://www.evt.com/elevate/careers/.