Rydges Palmerston – Sous Chef
About the business
Rydges is part of EVT, a proudly Australian-owned company with over 100 years’ experience in hospitality, entertainment and leisure in Australian & New Zealand. Our hotels stretch from Sydney to Queenstown to Perth and each is locally inspired, just like our team, our customers and you. We’re for making the day better. We include. We nurture talent and promote internally.
About the role
We are looking for a dynamic, career focused Sous chef who is experienced in south Asian cuisine preferably. This is an amazing opportunity for a driven, passionate and technically proficient leader.
Rydges Palmerston is a brand new 200 room hotel which boasts the popular Madame Za restaurant and Bar and multiple venue/functions spaces.
We are recruiting a highly experienced in Asian cuisine, highly motivated Sous chef with proven leadership and extensive experience. You will have the ability to own and resolve operational issues as you will be instrumental in the ongoing operations of Darwin’s hottest new venue.
Experience & skill set required for this role effective immediately. Post opening kitchen operations, menu planning, costing & development of seasonal menus, high volume a la carte & buffet, upmarket a la carte restaurant, multiple venue’s & food outlets, managing medium to large kitchen team, large scale event experience, recruitment & rostering, staff development & training through leadership in kitchen operations, OH&S Health & Safety including but not limited to HACCP.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist the Executive Chef with managing all Kitchen operations
- Assist in managing and developing the kitchen team effectively to ensure a well organised and motivated team
- Minimize food wastage and assist the Executive Chef in implementation of food cost controls
- Manage and maintain a clean working environment at all times
- Demonstrate responsibility, management and ownership of your Kitchen
- Ensure all food production is in line with hotel standards
- Ensure the consistent delivery of quality, well-presented food to our customers
- Demonstrate a working understanding of food, hygiene and safety principles, ensuring compliance at all times
- Meet all hygiene and WH&S requirements
Benefits & Perks
- Renowned for our refreshingly local, down-to-earth experiences.
- Incredible team member discounts from your first day on-the-job.
- 50% off stays at EVT hotels – Rydges, QT, Atura, JUCY Snooze and more.
- $2 movie tickets, plus Moonlight, Gold Class, Candy Bar discounts and more.
- Awesome winter and summer savings and discounts at Thredbo.
- Rapid career growth opportunities through our EVT network.
- Local community involvement, volunteering and charitable giving.
- Australia and NZ’s largest and most diverse experiences company.
Skills & experience
- A minimum of 3-4 years previous experience as a Junior Sous Chef or Sous Chef experience is essential
- Sound knowledge and experience (min. 3 years) in Asian/South Asian cuisine is essential.
- Hands on approach to your work and the ability to lead by example
- It is essential that you have at minimum a Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
- Demonstrated supervisory experience in a kitchen
- Ability to motivate and lead a team
- Fluent in the English language in order to communicate professionally with guests and team members, both in person and over the telephone
- A passion for delivering exceptional guest experiences
- Demonstrated ability to resolve problems and conflict, and work effectively under pressure
- Well-presented and calm personality